Olga Button

Spread The Word for Olga

Thursday, December 10, 2009

We Can Enjoy The Holidays!!!




We went to Ella's doctor appointment today with the oncologist. He said that her bone marrow still looks good and there were no significant leukemia cells in it. He still doesn't know the actual cause of her severe anemia but suspects that it could be something called Myelodysplastic Syndrome You can click on the link to read more as I still need to read up on it as well. But basically it sounds like it is a pre-leukemia type of thing. Her hemoglobin has dropped a little bit but is still at an okay level (9.9) so we are going to continue to watch it very closely. Her platelets are low again also (41,000) but that isn't as unusual for her. She is a bit of a mystery to the doctor in the sense that her marrow still shows signs of making new blood cells, which is a good thing. He said that if she starts to become more transfusion dependent (meaning she will need frequent RBC and platelet transfusions) then we may eventually move to the phase of treating her with chemo. But until that time, we will just keep doing what we have been doing and watching her blood closely. She has been very active and busy making lots of messes, climbing the stairs when nobody is looking, putting cat food in the cat water when the gate is down...etc. All of these things tell me that she is feeling great and that is what I like to see.
So thankfully, we can move forward with Christmas plans and enjoy this month. We will worry about next month....next month. My only concern now is that she keeps her hemoglobin up so continued prayers for that would be much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who keeps us in their thoughts and prayers as we continue on this roller coaster ride with Ella and her blood.


16 comments:

Beverly said...

I've never commented before but I follow Sweet Ella Grace and wanted you to know that she is and will be in my prayers. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Beverly

cindy said...

I was hoping you would give us an update today. I'm so glad to hear that you got good news! I love the way you think...enjoy today and worry about next month, next month. I love it!! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and I will continue to pray for Ella. God bless you and yours.

Devon said...

Well, I don't know if I should yell yay or not. I am so glad she'll be home for Christmas, though. She is in our prayers, sweet girl. Can I borrow her for a few days?!?! I just want to snuggle her!!!

Emily said...

I am so glad you posted the update and even more excited that you can enjoy the holidays! We will continue to keep her in our prayers! xoxo

Tina said...

I know it's a bitter sweet kind of situation, but for now things look under control and yay for that, Ella is home, going up the stairs, messing up the cat's water, and that's what counts. Next month is another month and we will all be there with you at your side, in spirit even if not in body praying with you and worrying with you, and celebrating with you for good news. Be strong and stay positive. Ella certainly looks like she is all excited and looking forward to the holiday season!! They are both such adorable pictures of her, big big hugs to your little champ! Does she just smile the moment she sees the camera or what????

Lacey said...

Oh sweet Ella, have a great Christmas now. So they think its leukemia related, just not leukemia yet? Man what a mess. Our kidos just like to keep us on our toes, thats for sure!

Kele said...

Mystery or not... it doesn't get cuter or more precious than that girl!
Sooooo happy for the good news, but always in our prayers, none the less!

Heather said...

When I looked at my phone today and saw there was a text from you,I took a deep breath and then looked and then I took a bigger breath once I read it and after talking to you I also breathe easier because to hear your voice,I know more then ever, you are stronger then you even know.Like I said,best Christmas present already received!We will continue our prayers for her hemoglobin to stay high enough to avoid transfusions.Love to you and that sweet little Ella.

Kristin said...

Yay Ella. Have a great Christmas!!

Heidi said...

I'm so glad you can move forward with your Christmas plans and enjoy the holidays. Ella will continue to be in my prayers - especially for her hemoglobin levels.

I love the pictures - what a sweet girl!

Kelli said...

We will be praying for Ella and your family...but for now...wishing you a wonderful holiday season! I absolutely LOVE looking at your pictures because I think Ella is such a beautiful little girl! she makes me smile every time I come to your site!

Mama Mason-Mann said...

Thank goodness for that and what a relief. She will be in my thoughts, as always, especially over the Christmas season. We hope you guys enjoy the merriest of all Christmas's. You deserve it!!!!! HUGS!
Amy :)

Kim said...

So happy for the good news! I hope your family has a wonderful and joyous Christmas! That Ella Grace is such a ham! I could just reach out and give her a big hug!

Kelli said...

What a great early Christmas present! We will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers. Enjoy the holidays!

Stephanie said...

YEAH!! I've been MIA lately but I'm glad I can read this good news!
Thank God! Miss Ella and you and the rest of your beautiful family can relax and enjoy your Christmas.
Squeeze that little dumpling for me!

Lori said...

Adorable pics (as always!)
Continued prayers for Sweet Ella Grace and your whole family. May the Miracle of Christmas bless your house richly!!