Olga Button

Spread The Word for Olga

Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Great Adoption Poem

I came across this poem on Lera's blog and just loved it. It does seem so overwhelming to me when I visit Reece's Rainbow and see all those children that need a family. It seems hopeless but this poem just makes me realize that anything can be accomplished one person at a time.

The Starfish Saver

As I walked along the seashore
This young boy greeted me.
He was tossing stranded starfish
Back to the deep blue sea.
I said "Tell me why you bother,
Why you waste your time this way.
There's a million stranded starfish
Does it matter, anyway?"

And he said, "It matters to this one.
It deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one.
I can't save them all I know.
But it matters to this one,
I'll return it to the sea.
It matters to this one,
And it matters to me.

I walked into an orphanage,
A young woman greeted me.
She was adopting a little girl,
She was excited, I could see.
I said, "Tell me why you bother,
Why you waste your time this way.
She's only one of thousands,
Does it matter anyway?"

And she said, "It matters to this one.
She deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one.
I can't save them all I know.
But it matters to this one,
I'll help her be what she can be.
It matters to this one,
And it matters to me."

8 comments:

my family said...

I have seen this before and think it is beautiful

Emily said...

LOVE it! Brought tears to my eyes...

Lacey said...

Ya know, I've been trying not to go to Reeces Rainbow right now. In January we are going to have our home study and get the process going, but we had decided against RR because we thought international would be to hard with jax. But everytime I go on there I just cry. I found a baby girl that looks like she could be Jaxsons twin. Then I found a 4 year old girl that is going to be transfered soon and she is in one of the poorest orphanges. She has a heart defect that I can't believe she's still alive with, being unrepaired. I want to go rescue her right now. So we may end up doing international, we'll see what our hearts tell us in January.

Heather said...

Love this.Saw it on Lera's forever families blog as well.Cuz you know I am a stalker like that.Because you know,I hear this call and am patiently waiting.His time.Not mine.Hope all is well.Kiss that cutie and look at your calender and let me know when a meet up will be possible.

Stephanie said...

I was here this morning and saw this, but then I jumped off to go see Lera and didn't get a chance to get back here. Lera reminds you of Em too! She is such a sweetie!
And this poem is so beautiful.

Tausha said...

Beautiful Poem. Thank for sharing.

Kristin said...

I saw this too and was going to put it on my blog. I had read the first part somewhere before, but not the last part. Love it. I have to take a break from RR right now. I want to save them all. I keep telling myself that we are NOT adopting another child in our 40's. I do NOT have the energy for another, and I am not getting any younger. But then I click on RR and my heart aches for those orphans. Someday, I hope to be the one who can put thousands of dollars into the grant funds so others can adopt and save them all!

Alan Anderson said...

What a beautiful poem. I just took Carter to a cardiology appointment and while I was there I met a lady with a little girl. As we were talking I found out that she has 5 children of her own (older and married) and then has adopted/fostered 15 special needs kids. Wow is all I could say! She did say her kids with down syndrome are the best (she has three!!!)