Olga Button

Spread The Word for Olga

Thursday, September 2, 2010

We Are So Blessed!!!

I know this may be a strange title to have while we are knee deep in leukemia treatment for our 2 year old daughter, but the truth is, that sometimes it takes rough times to realize your blessings or to see the selflessness of others. Most of the big blessings we have received, I have already blogged about such as our wonderful and successful fundraiser. But today I wanted to write about the little things that some others have done that have really touched my heart.



This blanket was made by a gal who has never met our family. She is the co-worker of the husband of a friend of mine whom I worked with years ago. This gal happened to start reading my blog after my friend's husband shared about Ella being diagnosed with leukemia. She then made this blanket for Ella. I am just amazed at the generosity of someone to spend so much of their personal time making something for someone they don't even know. Just another Angel who walks among us!!



This is Sophie. She is the daughter of one of my dear friends. She only met Ella once when she was just a few months old but since Ella was diagnosed, her mother has told me that they have been regularly praying for her. Her school does a recycling drive where they see which class can bring in the most cans and bottles. The winning class then gets to use part of their winnings and gives away part of their winnings to a cause. The kids all suggested various things that they could do with their "give away" money and then they all voted. Well Sophie suggested that they could give the money to "a little 2 year old girl who was battling leukemia". They voted and Ella won!! How cool is that!! What I especially liked about this was that Sophie thought of this all on her own without her mom's suggestion. Below is a copy of the letter she sent to me along with a check for over $50!!! THANK YOU SOPHIE!!





This is Emily and Sydney, daughter's of another one of my dear friends (Don't I have great friends!!) One day they asked if they could do a lemonade stand out in front of their house and give the money to Ella. They live on a fairly quiet street so no one thought they would get very many sales but they persisted anyway. They made these very sweet signs (oops, Ella is only 2 years old) and flagged down everyone they could. When it was all said and done, they had collected approximately $35!!! Not bad for a quiet street, huh? I am thinking that there is some pretty good parenting going on in my circle of friends to be raising such thoughtful and caring kids who want to do for others!! They have definitely inspired me to want to make sure and encourage my own kids to do for others any chance they get. THANK YOU EMILY AND SYDNEY!!!


I have said more than once recently that I believe that part of the reason that my family is going through these rough times is to teach us some things about ourselves. The thing that has stuck with me the most is that I am realizing how many people out there are willing to do for others without expecting anything in return. For example, a neighbor bringing us dinner more than once, another neighbor sharing their gardener with us every other week or friends and family keeping my older kids for days or weeks over the summer. I know I could go on and on about the little things that people have done for us and I certainly don't mean to omit anyone's act of kindness, but these are all things that I don't think I would have necessarily thought to do for others before going through this trial myself. Something else that I have learned is that it is so VERY hard to say yes when someone asks if they can do this or that for you. Even if I know it would be a great help, it is hard to say the word, "YES!!". So, from now on, when I know of someone in need, I will do my best to just arrange and do the task that I want to for that person without asking them and making them give me that very difficult answer. Another lesson learned!!!


Now on to this little stinker.........


I decided that I can't always post adorable and sweet pics of her. Once in a while, we need to show the tough and rumble side of her. I really hope that she ISN'T practicing a very naughty "F word" in this picture though!! And Lori...if you are reading this, that pillow case you sent Ella has been one of the biggest hits!!!

I am not getting my hopes up too much yet, but from 2 days ago til today, her numbers have actually gone UP!!! Yes, UP!!! We need to see what her numbers look like tomorrow, but it could be that she isn't going to go all the way down to zero this round and she may already be starting to go back up. If tomorrow's numbers are up versus down, we may be looking at home in the VERY near future. I had been expecting at least 10 more days in the hospital....

18 comments:

Cathy said...

How wonderful that your little angel is bringing out the very best in people. Such a beautiful post!

Patti said...

hahhaha Denise- I bet you meant you hope she ISN'T practicing a very naughty f word:) teehee. Love your girl, she is beautiful as always:)

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

I hope she isn't practicing a naughty word either, although if she is I hope she is using it correctly - "F*(#& Cancer" :)

Rochelle said...

Awesome blessings, thanks for sharing!
hugs!

Rachel said...

The kindness of others is so wonderful and we have learned that too. So many times we would come home to a cooler on the front step with dinner all ready for us! I do the same for others now:)

Yeah for numbers up! Any reason why they would be going up and then come down?

Heidi said...

Praying that her numbers keep going up,up,up!! So glad that there are so many wonderful people helping you!

Kelly said...

You have been so very blessed with such a wonderful support circle, Denise! AMAZING! It REALLY is the small things that ARE the big things, huh?! Random acts of kindness are definitely great to receive but even better to give!!

So happy that Ella's numbers are moving on up!! Praying that they continue to travel in the upward direction!

((HUGS))

Emily said...

What an amazing amount of love! You are surrounded by wonderful people!

JC said...

I loved this post! Some people have such kind hearts, its really touching to hear about :)

Lacey said...

So its ok that her numbers don't hit zero before going back up! Hopefully your out of there soon. We were just talking last night about how much our kids teach us. Zoey and Ella go through leukemia treatments and smile the whole time, while we complain about a hang nail. We can learn so much from them!

Not a Perfect Mom said...

wow...readind this with tears falling...came to your blog through another and so happy I did! Ella is beautiful and we will pray for her numbers to continue to go up! What a fighter she is!! It's truly amazing what a wonderful attitude she seems to have in the hospital...
I will def be back to check up on her...

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

it is so awesome the wonderful things that so many people are doing for ella and your family - thanks for sharing with us all!!! also, i REALLY hope ella's numbers keep going up - that would be awesome if you could go home soon... she is unbelievable :)

Ashley said...

I have decided that you should adopt Maeve so we can come visit her along with Ella :)

Bulldogma said...

Pictures of Ella never fail to put a smile on my face! I just love reading your blog, and Ella is constantly on my mind!

Jeana said...

What a wonderful post. Thanks for reminding me to look at the good things that come out of the trial we go through. I agree with just doing something for someone in need, people used to always say, "if there is anything we can do let us know" and I just felt like I couldn't really ask if there was something. So I want to do what you suggested, just do what ever I can think of, not putting the pressure on the person in need to think of something and then have to ask. Ella and her momma are such an inspiration to us!

Kele said...

Pretty much cried thru this whole post, the beauty in people never cease to amaze me.
Love and Kisses Ella and mommy!

Lori said...

And we are all so blessed to "know" you.
I am glad that you like the pillow case =)

Alicia D said...

what a cutie pie! god bless her sweet little self. glad she's home:)